Saturday, October 15, 2016

Review of Oscar Mayer Bun-Length Angus Beef Franks

When it comes to buying hotdogs, I only go all beef and I usually pick from my three go to brands. These hot dog picks include the Vienna Beef label, the Ball Park Angus, and the Aldi Parkview All Beef Vienna Hot dog (See past review on the Aldi Parkview).
Well my last trip to Meijer, I decided to step outside my comfort zone and try the Oscar Mayer Angus franks. They were on sale for $2.69 for the package of eight. The deal seemed pleasing especially since the Vienna was selling for over five dollars and the Ball Park were just below that amount.

Appearance

The bun length franks are skinny and sold eight to the package (as with any package of hot dogs). The color of the franks is a deep red akin to the Vienna or Ball park dogs. I can’t stand the flavor or color of the hybrid hot dog (Pork, chicken, and turkey) that carry a pale tone and devoid of taste and a mushy texture.

Preparation
The package instructions recommend cooking franks in a saucepan of boiling water for seven minutes. Not me, I steam them for about eight to ten minutes in a covered saucepan of shallow water. I have a little metal container contraption that rests above the boiling water to hold the franks so they are cooking entirely in this controlled steam bath environment. That is the only way I heat hot dogs.

Taste
First bite reveals a decent Vienna like casing snap. The frank definitely taste all beef (as there is no filler). Then this frank’s promising early returns go awry. The finishing flavor has some sort of smoky flavor one would expect with a sausage or dehydrated beef stick. It isn’t overwhelming but enough to dash any hopes of considering this Oscar Mayer substitute worthy as a Vienna alternate.

Price
The price of this package of franks was on sale for $2.69 and I believe the regular price hovered around the four dollar mark.

Overall Result

I would rank these franks as mediocre at best. I would probably only buy these again if I am making a bunch of chili dogs for a football Sunday get together as that smoky taste would likely get buried in my   spicy chili.

No comments:

Post a Comment