Thursday, May 28, 2015

Aldi Cerveza Monterrey Beer : A Review

Several times I have browsed the beer selection at Aldi as these beverages are conveniently positioned across from the chips and salty snack shelves. (Excellent product placement Aldi!). Well, I recently had a backyard cookout and decided to pick up some Cerveza Monterrey beer to accompany my other cooler standbys of Miller Lite and Goose Island 312.  For the most part, I have been experiencing a hot streak of satisfaction with Aldi products so I thought I would try my luck with one of their beer selection.

Physical Description

The beer is sold only in six pack counts as there are no twelve pack or case options. The packaging is quite familiar to the blue, yellow and white packaging of Corona. The bottle is clear and light just like Sol or Corona with a palm tree emblem with the word “MONTERREY” all in caps written across. The lager beer takes on a very pale gold tone.  Chilled ice cold with a lime on top sells it even further.

Taste
Time for the all important taste test. I drink light Mexican beers such as Sol or Corona only a few times a year, usually in the middle of a heat wave or just craving that beer that pairs well with a lime. The Cerveza Monterrey was iced down in a cooler for an hour and that did the trick. A blind taste test would still reveal a close resemblance to Sol or Corona but a tad heartier and less aromatic. I also picked up a refreshing crisp bite at the end of each taste that left me wanting a little more. Taste did not suffer, though these drinks were consumed iced down with a little citrus wedge enhancement. A less chilled version of this without a lime might yield a different result.

Price
The six pack of Cerveza Monterrey only set me back a $5.49. Competitive brand names such as Sol or Corona usually go between seven to eight bucks for the same quantity; though Corona could compete with this price on occasion when the twelve packs go on sale between $10.99 and $11.99.

Overall

As a comfort to entertaining others, I would probably always purchase the brands such as Corona and Sol just because my guests know those labels. For my own personal enjoyment, I would definitely consider picking up Cerveza Monterrey again especially when shopping for my other regular Aldi weekly provisions, and I don’t want to make a second stop on the way home for other beer. This is a good buy. 

2 comments:

  1. this is an outstanding beer with lime, I use 2 wedges a bottle, delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tried their version of "blue moon" and the hard apple cider...both excellent. I was not fond at all of the "hard root beer". I'd like to see an alternative to killian's irish red but nothing so far. Thanks for the review. I just finished a Monterrey.

    ReplyDelete