Monday, February 26, 2024

Review of Meijer Ground Coffee Original Blend

 



I am a major fan of coffee. I drink it seven days a week and about three cups a day. I drink it for the flavor and caffeine pick me up. If coffee drinking is even a vice, it would be one of the hardest for me to give up. That is not happening; not today at least.

 

I like different blends and brands of coffee, but I usually go with medium roasts to lighter breakfast blends or light roasts. I usually purchase Dunkin original blend and Tim Horton’s Original blend. I will try store brands on occasion. On one such occasion on a visit to the local Meijer, I picked up their branded Meijer Ground Coffee Original Blend. Let us now dig in to my assessment of this coffee and see if it measures up.

Packaging

The Meijer label coffee is sold in a large black can and also in smaller twelve-ounce package (which is what I picked up). The package is primarily red with a white background at the top. The bottom of front label indicates the type of roast which in this case I picked Medium. The red background is remarkably similar to Tim Hortons and Eight O Clock. Apparently, a lot of coffee companies prefer red packaging!

 

Price

The cost of this decent size bag of popcorn is $4.99 (as of February 2024). The neighboring coffee aisle brands such as Dunkin run for $7.48, Tim Hortons $6.92, and Eight O clock at $6.29.

 

Convenience

Opening this package of coffee was effortless. It was not too burdensome to pry open the bag as many packaged coffees seal up their coffee bags using a ton of glue which makes the initial opening a disaster. This opening was manageable. The package, like all the others has a thin wire fastener to reseal the bag when you done with it. The brewing is easy as one two three whether using a coffee maker or stove top pour (which is my method). The directions on the side of the bag recommend two level tablespoons per six-ounce pour. I don’t really measure the coffee and prefer to eyeball my portions when I fill up my cone filter.

 

Taste/Texture

The coffee came off with a not too dark finish, so I brewed it with just the right amount of grounds. The taste came off surprisingly smooth with a slightly nutty flavor. This was remarkably similar to eight o clock but with a more defined smoothness. I was really surprised by the flavor expecting much less quality.  I expected this coffee to be a generic version of Folgers or Maxwell house. It was much better.


Overall Result

 

I have a rotation of coffees in my house as I do not like the same brew seven days of week. I have Dunkin, Tim Horton’s and now Meijer Original Blend. Why did I add the Meijer brand? First reason was flavor. I really thought this tasted really good and I would not hesitate to serve this to guests at my house. The other main reason is the price. The low price point of $4.99 for an excellent coffee is a no brainer. I rate this an excellent buy.


No comments:

Post a Comment